Wild Family Fun

Tales of living, working and enjoying life in the outdoors

July 09, 2017

Real, Natural, Brilliant Play

This is my friends youngest daughter.

Yes, she’s covered in mud. And this was after a quick wash off in the sea at Penarth.

Who would stop a child having a brilliant play experience, just because of some mud.

Her mum could see how much fun she was having, and knew that a good bath and the washing machine would be waiting at home….. (the t-shirt didn’t make it!).

The funniest part, however, was walking through the crowds of people on the way back to the car. It was amusing to watch the mixture of laughter, smiles and confusion on peoples faces. But, sadly, some people were disgusted at the sight of a very muddy child. I’m not exaggerating when I say that some of the faces were truly horrified, and even commented as much when we walked past.

Was it that wrong? Our children were outside and playing together, and all had fun. We could hear them laughing and, as a parent, it was a joy to watch such natural and extremely messy play.

Back at home, my daughter couldn’t understand how people could be so judgemental. We spoke about it, concluding that it was their problem and not ours. I asked her if she’d had fun and enjoyed herself. When she replied with a quick yes, I said that’s all that matters.

A muddy child isn’t something to be scorned.

Some adults go to very expensive health spas to be plastered in mud, in an attempt to make themselves feel good……

……our children had the treatment for free!

Country Kids

10 thoughts on “Real, Natural, Brilliant Play

1. Nicole says:

She certainly did have lots of fun. Making memories!

1. kim says:

Having lots of fun is what counts! Hope bath time was ok too.

2. That’s the best bit about playing actually – getting all dirty. Some people are just full of ____. I bet your friend’s daughter had the time of her life and didn’t want to go home, hence the frown;) #countrykids

1. kim says:

Wonderful comment and a big thank you! Just made us laugh so much when people looked at us in horror. Really not a problem and a muddy child is a happy child. Thanks for looking in!

3. I love the analogy with the spa, that is so true. I confess I’ve always fancied trying one of those, perhaps I should just sit down by the river instead! Any parent who didn’t like what they saw is doing their child out of the wonder of childhood. One of the benefits of childhood is not caring if you are messy, not worrying about clothes or who will get things cleaned up, this stage never comes back so why take it away when they are young enough to be carefree. Glad you had a fun day.

Thank you for joining me for CountryKids

1. kim says:

Hi, I admit , it look so much fun and if I had the chance to do it, then I would! That’s the beauty of childhood, not having that worry of what other think and maybe we need to remember that sometimes. Great to be able to link up.

4. I can barely believe that some people found this offensive. A child covered in mud like this is – quite obviously – a child that has been having fun in the most natural way possible, interacting with nature in a way that the snide commentators have sadly forgotten about. I think it’s wonderful, and I’m sure she had a brilliant time (I know that my own kids have had many similar experiences; our washing machine has to work overtime! ;o) ) #CountryKids

1. kim says:

Hi, thank you for your comment and great to see that some people should see this photo and know its a child who has the most fun! It was so sad seeing people look at us with horror, it is just mud and it really was a fun afternoon. Thank you for seeing the fun side to it!

5. Stephanie says:

Oh brilliant!! I love that, and would have been one of those people who thought ‘what great fun she has had!’

1. kim says:

Thank you, it has been lovely to hear people saying that it has looked like she had lots of fun! Nice to see like minded people out there.